Engineering Polymers Facilitate Quality Medical Care
When a patient requires medical treatment, they expect exceptional quality care. This level of care cannot be delivered without the skill of the medical team and dependable, safe, and effective medical equipment and supplies, many of which are produced using engineering polymers. Polycarbonate, compounds and blends, and Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) from Trinseo are used in the medical industry for single- and multiple-use medical devices and equipment housings. Products encompass everything from surgical staplers and endoscopic surgery tools to dialysis machines and rehabilitation equipment. The use of plastics for medical devices led to the manufacture of single-use disposal medical devices, which reduces risk of cross-contamination or infection.
These medical-grade resins can offer an important combination of properties, such as strength, toughness, heat tolerance, clarity, and biocompatibility as well as resin purity, product consistency, and aesthetic appeal. And some grades of polycarbonate resins, can be sterilized and disinfected by ultraviolet radiation, reducing patients’ risk of exposure to microorganisms during their treatment.
- Green Tires Are on a Roll
- Lighting the Way to Improved Energy Efficiency
- Polystyrene Packaging Reduces Food Waste
- Lighter Weight Cars, Better Fuel Efficiency
- Smart Meters Reduce Energy Consumption
- Latex Helps Bridges Last Longer
- Post-Consumer Recycled Content in Plastics
- Insulation Makes Homes More Energy Efficient
- Engineering Polymers Facilitate Quality Medical Care