Responsible Care® is a voluntary initiative of the global chemical industry to safely handle our products from inception in the research laboratory, through manufacture and distribution, to ultimate reuse, recycle, and disposal, and to involve the public in our decision-making processes. Developed in Canada in 1987, Responsible Care® quickly spread to 53 countries. While Responsible Care® goes above and beyond what is legally required in most countries, we hold ourselves accountable by making Responsible Care® a “condition of membership” in industry associations.
Trinseo uses the Responsible Care® management system framework and reported the results of the first formal review of its efforts to implement Responsible Care® in August 2013.
Trinseo has implemented the following Responsible Care® principles:
- To lead our companies in ethical ways that increasingly benefit society, the economy, and the environment
- To design and develop products that can be manufactured, transported, used, and disposed of or recycled safely
- To work with customers, carriers, suppliers, distributors, and contractors to foster the safe and secure use, transport, and disposal of chemicals, and provide hazard and risk information that can be accessed and applied in their operations and products
- To design and operate our facilities in a safe, secure, and environmentally sound manner
- To instill a culture throughout all levels of our organization to continually identify, reduce, and manage process safety risks
- To promote pollution prevention, minimization of waste, and conservation of energy and other critical resources at every stage of the life cycle of our products
- To cooperate with governments at all levels and organizations in the development of effective and efficient safety, health, environmental and security laws, regulations, and standards
- To support education and research on the health, safety, environmental effects, and security of our products and processes
- To communicate product, service, and process risks to our stakeholders and listen to and consider their perspectives
- To make continual progress toward our goal of no accidents, injuries, or harm to human health and the environment from our products and operations and openly report our health, safety, environmental, and security performance
- To seek continual improvement in our integrated Responsible Care® management system to address environmental, health, safety, and security performance
- To promote Responsible Care® by encouraging and assisting others to adhere to these guiding principles
Read more about our Responsible Care® commitment and recertification here.
Responsible Care® is a registered service mark of the American Chemistry Council in the United States.